How an ADHD evaluation from your pediatrician in San Antonio, TX, can help your child
If your child has consistent episodes of not paying attention, not listening, losing things, and not completing tasks, it could be a sign of something else. Your child could have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, also known as ADHD. Your pediatrician can help you find out.
Dr. Livania Zavala at The Pediatric ADHD Clinic for Super Minds in San Antonio, TX, provides a wide range of pediatric behavioral services, including evaluation and treatment of ADHD.
So, when is an ADHD evaluation recommended? If your child shows consistent problems like these:
- An inability to stay still for long periods
- Frequent squirming and fidgeting
- An inability to get organized
- Frequently losing or forgetting things
- Often not listening or paying attention
- Excessively talking and blurting out comments
- Running and climbing at inappropriate times
If you notice any of the signs listed above, it’s time to consider an ADHD evaluation from your pediatrician. The evaluation includes a thorough physical examination and medical history, including any recent illnesses, current medications, and behavioral problems. An evaluation may include other members of your household, teachers, and others who have close contact with your child.
Treatment of ADHD includes many different methods. Your pediatrician may recommend:
- Medication therapy, to maximize brain function, sharpen focus and control behavioral issues
- Behavioral therapy, to learn impulse control and limit or eliminate inappropriate behaviors
- Lifestyle modification, to increase nutrients, limit sugar, and increase exercise to promote healthy habits
ADHD can have serious consequences if it goes untreated. These consequences can continue into adulthood. As your child grows and faces new challenges, ADHD can cause:
- Learning difficulties
- Poor performance in school or work
- Aggressive, harmful behaviors
- Difficulty with relationships
- Mood swings and depression
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
To learn more about the signs of ADHD and when an ADHD evaluation is recommended, call Dr. Livania Zavala at The Pediatric ADHD Clinic for Super Minds in San Antonio, TX. You can reach the office by calling (726) 208-2171, so call today.